Wednesday, November 30, 2011

That's my boy!

There was an Atom parent meeting last night (Ardan's team) to discuss some issues that came up and towards the end, Coach Neal came in the room because he had an announcement to make. He started off by saying that for the past two months, he has been observing the players closely, watching their behaviour and interactions on-ice, off-ice, on the bench, in the change room, etc. He paid particular attention to who exhibited natural leadership qualities, who was always respectful to the coaches and other players, who tended to step in when other players needed help or guidance, and whose attributes of strength and patience helped influence and encourage the other players to play their best and to come together as a team.

He said he had made a decision to create a Team Captain for the rest of the season, and that the player he had chosen was the clear, obvious choice....

Of course, we all know what I'm going to say...

So the new Team Captain for the Atom B2 Lakers is...

ARDAN

I had a feeling where the speech was going the more he said, and by the end, when he announced that Ardan was our new Team Captain, I had the biggest sh*t-eating grin on my face!  After the meeting was over, I approached him just to say thank you for giving Ardan that recognition, and he told me that Ardan is definite AA material and that he is really excited to see him bring the team together and to observe the ways in which Ardan will naturally lead and strengthen the team. I was so proud I had tears in my eyes!

Unfortunately, Ardan wasn't at the practice because he was sick with the stomach virus that my other kids are going through (had to go pick him up from school, poor kid). But before the next game, Coach is going to sit down with Ardan and myself and go over what a Team Captain's responsibilities and expectations are. I'm really looking forward to that because I know that hearing his Coach tell him how proud and impressed he is of Ardan, listing all the reasons why he was chosen above all the others, will really make a difference in Ardan's self-esteem and confidence. 

You should have seen his face when I got home from the meeting and told him the awesome news. He was blushing with pride, trying not to grin. You know, that closed-mouth smile that eventually breaks into a huge grin. I'm so happy and thrilled for him, so proud of my boy.

No comments: