Thursday, July 15, 2010

Spermspermsperm, Sperm is the word...

My 5 year old daughter has recently discovered what a sperm is. Well, no, that's wrong; she's known for a while, thanks to a discussion we had on how babies are made. But it was only recently that she discovered what a sperm looks like (and no, don't be disgusting, not THAT way), thanks to a Beavis & Butthead video the boys were watching. So now, in her mind, any amorphous blob with a tail is a sperm.

Hubs and Gunnar came home from a fishing trip last night with a bucket full of minnows and tadpoles. Of course, Lena and Ryder were beyond thrilled about it and spent hours with their hands in the bucket, tormenting those poor creatures.

Lena came rushing into the house and said to me, "Mom, you know when baby frogs are little sperms with a tail? Well, Gunnar caught some!" Hmmm, do you mean TADPOLES? Hahaha! I had to tell facebook about that one. Then, later on that night, the kids were watching Max & Ruby (a cartoon show), an episode called Max and the Beanstalk, and there were some magic beans on the ground that sprouted and grew into, what else, a beanstalk. As we watched the little beans grow tails and burrow into the ground, I was waiting for it... "Look, its sperms!" Yep, I knew it. Had to add that comment onto my status. In response to a comment from Koos, I said how I could just picture her, in public, pointing something out as "a sperm!"

And how right I was.

We were in Walmart today in the produce section and Lena held up a cantaloupe. She pointed out to me how the furrow-like markings on the skin kind of look like sperms (how she made that comparison, I know not). Well, by then I'd had it.

"Lena, enough with the sperms!"

Only to realize that the sweet little old lady standing by the apples had heard and was glaring daggers at me. So thanks Lena, thanks a lot. Now I am a pervert who yells about sperm to my darling innocent daughter.

No comments: