Friday, October 24, 2008

What was your best Halloween costume?

It could be from when you were a kid, or the one you wore last year; it could be a hand-made costume or a store-bought one.

I think the best costume I ever wore was one that I made ALL BY MYSELF, when I was 17. Our grad committee was doing a fundraiser at the community center for Halloween. You know, with a haunted house on the stage and the two bathrooms, games for the kids, etc. I was on the team that was doing the haunted house, and I was to be the dead girl rising from the coffin to scare the bejeebus out of the little ones. Hahaha!

I had this beautiful old dress that used to be my gramma Alyce's. It was powder-blue, to the floor, long-sleeved, with lacy panels that had embroidered daisies. I decided to modernize it, change it up a little. Cut off the sleeves, removed the lacy panel, and reworked it so the embroidered daisies were on a thin band of lace that ran under the bust, empire-style. It was pretty cool-looking when I was all finished. Of course, I could barely squeeze my huge chest into the bodice but I'm sure all the guys appreciated it. LOL!

Once I had the dress on, I back-combed my hair until it was a wild tangled mess, then added leaves and branches and small plastic spiders, and stuck a small tiara in there. Did my makeup so my skin was pale but with bluish shadows under the eyes and cheekbones, heavy smeared eye makeup, dark red lipstick. I was the undead prom queen! It was awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I wonder if the "undead prom queen" would accidentley freeze a perfectly good cake. ha ha.