Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why did the turkey cross the road...?

....Because he wanted to be poultry in motion!



Everyone who's excited about Thanksgiving this year, put up the hand... ME! (Simcoes, you'd better be sitting there reading this with your hands in the air, I don't care if you're at work, lol)

I love this time of year, it seems kind of exciting, like you're gearing up before winter and rushing around doing stuff. Whether its trying to coordinate two hockey schedules, parent-teacher interviews, family get-togethers, or just enjoy the outdoors... seems like our days are jam-packed with endless activity, and its great!

Plus, who doesn't love the beautiful fall colors, the trees all gold and red (I HAVE to take the kids out leaf-strolling), that wonderful uniquely-Autumn smell in the air of... burning leaves? What the...? I was driving home past Norglenwold and noticed smoke coming from the trees, slowed down as I passed, peering, but it was just a guy burning leaves in his backyard. He noticed me staring at him and that was a bit embarrassing, but hey. I was fully prepared to call 911 on the cell and report the huge forest fire I imagined happening. I was going to be a hero, darn it! LOL

We're going to two Thanksgivings this year, as we usually do, one at my grandma's, one at Tyler's sisters. We are going.. to.. FEAST! Haha. I can't wait for all that turkey and stuffing, yummm. Lena has discovered that she loves stuffing. One day last week I decided to try something different for lunch and make box stuffing, and she ate like three bowls! Which is amazing because she normally doesn't finish one plate of lunch. So she will pig out for sure this weekend.

The best thing about Thanksgiving, though, is getting to visit and spend time with everyone. I'm pretty lucky that I get to do that on a regular basis with my side of the family as we have weekly Family Dinners, but its been a while since I've seen everyone on Tyler's side of the family. My kids are friggin' ECSTATIC that they'll get to visit with their five boy cousins all day long. I'm sure I'll only see them when they surface long enough to stuff their faces with spetzla. (That's a unique family food tradition on Ty's side, its sort of like eggy noodles - homemade - that's eaten with gravy poured on). I never really got on the spetzla bandwagon but my kids love it. Tyler used to eat plates and plates of it, until he discovered his wheat/gluten allergy. Poor Ty. Now he gazes wistfully at anyone eating it, and forlornly picks at his plate. Awww.....

So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, here are a few things I'm thankful for this year:
  • having happy, loving, sweet kids that are healthy and smart
  • getting to watch Ryder this past year grow into a little person with such a huge personality; appreciating every milestone and "first" because I know he's the last baby (OH YES HE IS, Simcoes, shut up! I've figured out what's causing it at last)
  • seeing Gunnar's determination and spirit during hockey tryouts
  • Ardan's newfound sense of self-esteem from discovering he's "a natural" at hockey (his coach's words)
  • watching Milena grow and mature before my very eyes, savoring the sound of her sweet little voice as she talks non-stop, laughing hilariously at the funny things she says or else finding myself tearing up when she says or does something unbearably sweet and precious
  • having a husband who understands my quirks, tolerates my bossiness, appreciates my humor, and loves me to pieces
  • that my brothers have become mature, responsible men who have embraced 'adulthood', but they still know how to have a good time and they can make me laugh so hard I have to change my pants (well, maybe I'm not so thankful for that, lol)
  • my mom seems more at peace with herself, her life
  • that I have awesome friends (Christine, Carol, and Kelly, this means you) that I can chat with for hours, whether its on the phone or in person; I know I can tell them anything and they will understand, sympathize, offer helpful advice, make me laugh, or just lend a shoulder to cry on
  • and lastly, I'm thankful for the fact that, at almost 30, I am finally becoming comfortable with myself and confident in who I am as a person. I've accepted the fact that some things about myself will never change nor would I want them to, but that some things I am capable of changing, it only requires will, determination and optimism. I am no longer afraid to speak my mind for fear of rocking the boat (though it is nice having someone talk me down before I blast that boat to bits, lol, thanks Trapper). I will not hesitate to stand up for myself, my kids, my husband, anyone or anything I feel strongly about. But also, with age I've learned (somewhat, lol) to temper my reactions, to be more considerate of others' feelings and opinions, and to take a moment to think before speaking. Most of the time.
Here's a little something to make you laugh:
10 things that sound dirty on Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful list of things to be thankful for, BeauSaxon. In my opinion you have a great sense of what is important and your list of priorities proves it. It's your fourth child, our Ryderman, who I see glimpses of my little girlchild and taking that into consideration, it makes me so proud to see the woman you've become, the strong confident reliable woman who leads her family forward. You're the bestest daughter a mother could ever hope to have.
Kelle