Sunday, March 7, 2010

Little Miss Ob(li)vious

We were in Hobbema today for Gunnar's hockey game. Ryder wanted to run around in the "warm part" so Lena and I followed him in there, and we sat on a bench in front of the viewing window so we could still watch the game. We'd already been there a good hour or so but I guess Lena was slow on the uptake because she turned to me and said, not in an overly-loud voice but definitely not a whisper, "Mom, I think that whole team is indians!"

Ohmygod. Heads turned to us. My face flamed. "Yes they are Lena, but I think they would like to be called 'native', okay? That's a nicer word."

"Oh, okay." And away she went, playing with all the kids.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Hahaha....good thing she's cute I'm sure you were thinking!!!

granny hag said...

What goes around comes around LOL .. I remember a certain little girlchild saying "Mom, that man doesn't have a leg" and "Mom, look at that fat lady" but then I do remember the four of us driving back to LA on the Pacific Coast Highway and bopping in at a McDonalds where we were the only white people in the entire place .. I was so afraid one of you would say the N word (something you would have picked up from your father, of course) but all three of you were angels (actually ended up playing with all the kids in the playarea of the restaurant). Go figure. Dreaded situations always happen when you least expect it. By the way, you handled this one very well, Sax.