Thursday, May 21, 2009

INJUSTICE! BETRAYAL! THE BIGGEST UPSET IN HISTORY!!

You know its going to be a bad day when you wake up feeling hungover and you didn't even drink the night before. That's how I feel this morning -- groggy, achy, sore eyes, slightly nauseous (don't any of you even DARE to comment that I might be pregnant!!! Trust me, its impossible right now). And the reason for this is because last night my wonderful, sweet, uber-talented, dead-sexy future hubby, Adam Lambert, LOST AMERICAN IDOL TO THAT BIBLE-THUMPING HAYSEED POSER KRIS ALLEN!!!

I had said before that if he lost, I was done with Idol. And I am. I had said that if he lost, everyone better be prepared to see one of the worst tantrums in history, I was going to flat-out destroy stuff! I was going to grab the nearest thing to me, run out on the front lawn (so I didn't destroy the house) and just smash it, over and over. That my screams of rage and frustration would echo straight out to space. Well, my reaction at seeing those final five minutes of Idol weren't quite that dramatic, but I did punch the couch. And cry. Yes, I did. I cried.

It just seemed like such an injustice, such a betrayal of the whole idea of Idol -- that the one who deserves to win, should and will. And it didn't happen that way! The fact that Kris won based not on talent or deserved-ness, but because he had three factions voting for him, that it was all politics, just kills me. Adam had his loyal Glamberts voting for him, but Kris had his own fan base, most of Danny's fan base (because the mentality is that you either love Adam or hate him, and Danny is a safe, middle-of-the-road singer like Kris, so his fans easily crossed over to Kris's side), as well there are many websites out there, like VoteForTheWorst, who recruit and encourage people to vote for who shouldn't win. So with all those people voting for Kris, the poor Glamberts just couldn't match those numbers, even though I'm sure my fellow Glams voted till their fingers fell off.

Even Kris realized that what happened was a major upset. The look on his face when his name was announced, even though I'm extremely bitter right now I'll give him that, the total shock he was in, even HE thought Adam would win. And he said that, "Adam should have won, I'm sorry." So that made my opinion of him go up a bit. To zero. From negative-five.

Adam was so gracious about it, and genuinely happy and excited for Kris. That's the kind of guy he is. He's become really good friends with Kris, which is kind of weird but neat, seeing as how they're polar opposites. One's a married church-going southern boy who plays accoustic guitar and likes country music. The other one's a gay/bi glam-punk-emo-rocker who likes makeup, jewelry, painted fingernails, outrageously awesome outfits and shoes, and can shatter glass with his roof-raising screams. Sort of a 'when two worlds collide' thing.

But the thing that made me get emotional and start leaking tears was that this guy, so talented and genuine, who's worked so hard all his life to get where he is today, he TRULY deserved to have that moment in the spotlight, you know? He deserved to know that feeling of overwhelming love and acceptance when his name was called, to know that the majority of America was rooting for him and wanted to see him crowned the Idol. Even though Kris is his friend, I'm sure Adam knows that he is the better singer, more talented. He put his heart and soul into every performance, gave 100% every time and then some, took the time and thought to make each performance his own. And so for his name NOT to be called, for America to choose the 'safe' guy, the non-controversial one, who's probably done nothing more daring in his life than voting for Obama... arrghh! What a travesty. Adam has said that he's battled other's opinions, been picked on, teased and tormented, his entire life, and that he persevered by ignoring all that, pushing on and just being who he is, staying true to himself. But I imagine that there was still a part of him that longed for the unconditional acceptance of his peers. And last night should have been the moment where he was given that! Instead, once again he was shown that the majority of people simply aren't at that stage of non-judgemental acceptance and openminded-ness. Adam was robbed not only of the Idol title, but of having his moment in the sun, knowing that HE was our Idol, that "we love him, we really love him!" It just makes me sick.

And so I'm trying to be positive about the whole thing, which is not an easy thing to do. The only thought that soothes the beast is knowing that either way, Adam has made it. Simon has said that Idol is just a stepping-stone for Adam, that he will go on to have a fantastic, world-wide career that will last. Whereas Kris Allen, in my opinion, will probably make his Idol-produced album and then fade into obscurity, like Idols before him Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, and Fantasia Barrino. In the long run, coming second-place will most likely work to his advantage. Look at Chris Daughtry, he made it fourth-place then got voted off (second biggest upset in Idol history), and his career since then has sky-rocketed. Adam will still get to make his album (part of the Idol contract, 2nd place still gets you a record-deal), and because he's not the official Idol, and therefore subject to certain codes of conduct and musical restrictions, he can do the kind of music he wants to. He's not limited to safe, happy, radio-friendly tunes that the producers push on him. He can break the mold, stretch his limits, melt our hearts and faces with his blistering vocal talent.

So yeah, there you have it. My heart broke for him last night, but my love will always remain. Let Kris take the glory and adulation, while Adam stands back, shakes himself off, and gears up for the mega-career coming his way. I can't wait!!

No comments: