Friday, November 12, 2010

Five Question Friday


1. What is the most physically painful thing that has ever happened to you?

Memory is a strange thing; something that you'd swear was the most physically painful thing to ever happen to you, loses its intensity over time and you think 'Eh, it wasn't that bad'. So with that in mind, the few that stick out in my mind are kinda tied for first place. Getting the tubes and stitches pulled out after my breast reduction surgery, almost fainted that time. In labor with Milena, being told by the nurses that I had to stop the urge to push or she would be strangled to death, and having to keep that urgent need in check for over an hour! I seriously wanted someone to knock me out with a blow to the head or else just cut me open right there in the delivery room and pull her out to safety. After my wisdom tooth surgery, when Ryder bashed his head into that one spot on my jaw, I blacked out for a few seconds and literally saw stars. All these things happened to me as an adult but there is one thing I'll always remember as being physically agonizing, and that is when I was six years old and had my back problem. One of the disks between my vertebrae was dissolving for some mysterious reason, and the vertebrae would rub together with even the slightest movement. I remember one night waking up with the urgent need to pee and not being able to walk to the bathroom, so I dragged/pulled myself along the floor to reach the bathroom, sobbing with pain. My mom must have heard the commotion and came rushing upstairs. She was just devastated. I think up until that point she hadn't taken my sore-back claims seriously, thinking I was just making up excuses not to have to do my chores. Thank God the whole thing was eventually figured out and I healed up.

2. How much sleep do you get at night?
Depends when I go to bed. Usually I fall asleep (that's the key phrase because I can go to bed early but not fall asleep until hours later) around midnight-1am. Sometimes later. Weekdays my alarm is set for 6:45am, weekends (depending on hockey schedules) I get to sleep in a tiny bit later and am up at 7:30am. I'll let you do the math.

3. How long did you believe in Santa Claus? How did you find out that he does not exist?
I honestly can't remember what age I was and the exact moment of horrifying discovery. I do recall being older, maybe 8 or 9 (because I know my brothers were between 4-6 at the time), it was Christmas Eve and we were all sleeping together, so excited and unable to sleep, whispering about what Santa was going to bring us. And suddenly we heard a loud THUMP on the roof, then more thumps and what actually sounded like footsteps! And I remember thinking, "Wow, Dad is really going to a lot of trouble just to keeps us believing in Santa", but then logic kicked in and I realized that Mom would NEVER allow Dad to climb the rickety old ladder and stomp about on a steep icy roof during the middle of the night. So cynicism turned to wonder and in that moment, I really truly believed.



4. What was the last movie you saw in a theater?
Toy Story 3 with Milena and Ryder. Lena was invited to a school friend's birthday party that was being held at the theater; parents and siblings were also invited (which was so nice!). That was actually Ryder's first movie in a theatre, he did great and really enjoyed the show, as did I. In fact, the damn stupid movie made me cry, not just once but twice! Pretty embarrassing when Lena noticed and in her overly-loud whisper voice, alerted everyone to the fact, "Mom, are you CRYING?! Why are you CRYING?!"



5. What do you wear to bed?
Depends what mood I'm in. If its a good mood, I have a couple of sexy nighties I really like. If its a bad mood (or else a certain time of the month, and you're welcome for that TMI) then I have a really long black sleeveless dress-type thing that Mom brought back from Mexico for me. Many years ago, I used to sleep in the buff but that ended once I realized that little ones tend to barge in uninvited, pull back the covers and crawl in beside you. Oh, and one time I had a traumatizing dream that the house was on fire and I ended up on the front lawn totally naked with neighbors looking on from their yards. And so ended that phase.

No comments: