Thursday, December 16, 2010

Project DSLR: Stage 4

As I've mentioned before, I'm in the process of getting the downstairs livingroom (DSLR) all rearranged, organized, and decorated with our antiques, artwork, animal heads, etc. Today I continued on to Stage 4 (Stage 1: Cleaning, Stage 2: Rearranged, Stage 3: Organized). Yes, today it was all about Decorating!

Unfortunately, that damn monstrous sheep head that weighs about a hundred pounds is totally impossible to get mounted on the wall by myself. But trust me, I tried. Picture it: me, left arm awkwardly holding it around the neck, my hip keeping the bottom part wedged up against the wall, trying to line up the hole in the back frame with the hole pre-drilled into the wall while I've got the drill held upright in my right hand, with the long screw precariously fitted to the drill bit, all while standing on a one-legged stool. As you can imagine, things didn't quite go according to plan. I abandoned that project after about ten minutes of heavy breathing, grunting, straining, arms trembling, sweating, CURSING, while millions of tiny white hairs drifted like snow onto my face, hair, eyelashes, and chest. Oh, and mouth, can't forget the mouth.

So then I moved on to the two deer heads, got them firmly installed on the walls. Moved two of the stuffed fish to different walls. Rearranged the antiques in the china cabinet.

Then came the fun part --- figuring out where to hang all the pictures and artwork we've collected over the years. There were just enough items to decorate every wall and it looks amazing!

I have two beautiful pictures that Mom gave me years ago and I wanted them to be hung together, since they share a theme. Once I got them hung, I noticed they weren't lying flat on the wall. Took them down and flipped them over and here the backs were completely covered in decades-old glops of hot glue! That is such a Hagar thing. Mom's idea of hanging pictures wasn't to use nails, it was all about the hot glue. It took me near ten minutes with a flathead screwdriver to scrape all that sh*t off! But eventually I was successful and the pictures were rehung, lying flat at last.

Project DSLR: Stage 5 is all about The Dump. Once I can get those items outta here, it is going to look FABULOUS! I'm so excited. Will post pics when Project DSLR is complete.

1 comment:

mama hagar said...

Thanks BeauSaxon for sharing that tidbit about me with the world. Let's back up a bit and explain WHY. We lived in a house that was over a 100 years old so the walls were not straight so one nail would never hang a picture perfectly - that picture, combined with others, would make the whole array of pictures look awkward so what better thing to do to ensure complete accuracy but to hot glue the picture set together, about one inch apart. Artistically arranged. Guess what they have out there now, BeauSaxon? Rolls of velcro made especially for pictures. Rolls. So now I can hang even heavy pictures, made of real wood or ceramic, on the walls of the gym that my office is located in - these walls are made of cement so it's a for sure thing that a nail or screw wouldn't even make a dent in the wall but velcro? What a concept! I'm in love with this new project.

PS - a simple ice scraper from the vehicle will peel that old glue right off the backs of those pictures.

Some advice from a chick who's tried everything.