Thursday, January 22, 2009

For shame, Hallmark

I was flipping through the channels today and something on MuchMusic caught my eye. The VJ's were discussing a birthday card that Hallmark has put out; on the front of the card it says "Why so serious?" and shows Heath Ledger as the Joker from The Dark Knight movie. On the inside of the card it reads "Its just your birthday".

Is that not totally in bad taste or what? The VJ's also made a good point -- where do you draw the line when it comes to using posthumous images in advertising and marketing? Should Hallmark have done this? Its been a year since Heath Ledger's death. Images of other dead artists' are still used in advertising, think of Elvis, Marilyn, John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix. Not saying Heath was at the iconic level they were and are, but you get what I'm saying.

I wonder who has the authority to sign off on this -- Heath's family? Michelle? The movie studio?

I know that I personally was so affected by Heath's death, it honestly felt like a close friend had died when I found out. I know that sounds stupid. Most likely its because he looked so much like my brother. (Funny story about that... I made a comment one time about how hot and sexy I thought Heath was but that he reminded me of someone. When I realized who, I wanted to die of mortification! Ewwwww!!!!)

Anyway, what's your opinion on this?

No comments: