Tuesday, January 13, 2009

She's a Natural

Milena's first gymnastics class was last night. She was so excited! We got there early, so she had some time to get over her initial shyness and make some friends.

Here they all are learning the "stance" - knees bent, arms out. The stance is important because it helps them with balance; whenever they jump or land, they are to do it. Of course, being a class of 3 and 4 year olds, do you think any of them remembered? Haha. Those poor instructors, they have the patience of saints. (See how she's the only one paying attention to the instructor? The rest of the kids are looking for their mommy, not my girl! I can easily say she was the best-behaved kid in the class.)



Here's Lena on the trampoline. I think she was eager to show off her tramp-ing skills. We have one at home and the kids are out there every day (in the warmer months, obvs).



The little girl in the pink, Harley, was one of the first friends Lena made in class. She's a very outgoing little girl, came right up to Lena and said "Come play with me!" and they were off, running around. But as you can tell in this vid and the trampoline one, she's quite... um, what's the word... not hyper or pushy, but kinda both. By the end of the class, Lena had had enough of her. She kept trying to hug Lena and Lena would just shrug her off. The kid's mom was standing right there so I felt bad but hey, I totally understood where Lena was coming from. I'd do the same.


Here they are on the uneven bars. I was quite proud to note that Lena was the only one in her group that could hold onto the bars the longest without letting go, and she didn't need any help lifting her legs up to the bar. Well, I guess in this video she did but all the other times she didn't.


This was at the beginning of class, learning to do the back bridge. I tell ya, Lena's a natural! The boys and I were beaming with pride at how awesome she was.

Time for the balance beam, one of the things Lena was most looking forward to. Her sense of balance is incredible and so natural. I'd be falling down all over that thing. The instructors, probably thinking that they needed to teach the kids in 'baby steps', literally had them doing just that -- baby-stepping on the beam. I know that Lena could run across that thing and not fall, but she did exactly what they taught, took mincing little steps. Being her mother and knowing what she is capable of, I was getting a little frustrated. But that's okay. When class was over and all the kids and parents were leaving, Lena got up on the beam to show Gramma Hag what she could do, and she was strutting back and forth on that thing like a pro. I saw several of the instructors eyeing her. They were probably thinking, "WOW, I want her in my group next time!" She's honestly that good, and I'm not being (that) boastful or biased.
I KNEW this would be her thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered Harley's mom might ever read this, BeauSaxon? But it's true that this little Harley gurlchild instantly bonded to Lena and they had fun, up until the time Lena realized Harley wasn't a good listener and could be a potential problem just through association. I have a great pic of Harley hugging Lena (actually, squeezing Lena) while they leaned on the trampoline and Lena slowly turned her head towards us then rolled her eyes. ALMAO

Mom