Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm giving myself a pat on the back right now

I'm kinda proud of myself today. Not only did I get my lazy ass in gear this morning and do my workout, but... I took the kids to the park today. And why is that such a big deal, you ask? Because I rode my bike to the park with both kidlets in the carrier behind me (so that's about 75 pounds extra weight I was haulin') but.... I went to the park by the cop shop! And it only took me 10 minutes to bike there! For those of you familiar with the layout of Sylvan, and where my house is, you know that's like, what... six kilometres? Maybe more, maybe less -- I'm so bad at figuring out distances.

I just can't believe I did it in 10 minutes! I must've been bookin'er! I debated wearing my bike helmet (I look like SUCH a dork) but its a good thing I did because not even a minute into riding, a cop drove by! See, that's why I always trust my gut instinct.

We had such a fun time at the park. Oh, except for when Lena took off her rubber boots and refused to put them back on, so all the other moms thought I was a horrible parent, letting my kid run around in the wet sand with only socks on. What a stubborn creature she is. Ryder loves slides but the only slide there is one of those high ones. You should've seen his face as he was sliding down -- head first, because Lena helped him up there then just pushed him down the slide! -- it was like part pure terror, part exhilaration, part WTF?! Haha. At one point, I was off gathering pinecones under a tree and when I turned around I noticed both kids crouched down, playing with something in the grass. Turned out it was a pile of tiny rabbit turds (or some small-ish animal). And before I could race over there in time, yep, you guessed it. Ryder shoved a handful into his mouth, thinking they were Easter chocolate eggs. BLECH!! Poor kid. Yet another comical face he made, What the hell did I just put in my mouth?! Haha. And of course, being the brainless mom I am, I didn't bring any wipes or kleenexes or anything with me, to wipe off his face and clear the shit out of his mouth. So I used his shirt. Oh yeah, those moms were glaring at me.

But get this. There was a mom that showed up with a little boy and a baby. And the baby had no socks or shoes on! He had pants and a thick wooly hoody, but no frickin' socks, just bare feet! And she was totally nonchalant about it! I mean, sure it was sunny out, but in no way could you consider it a 'warm' day - the wind was so cold. I was horrified, and kept staring at the poor kids feet. She caught me looking and made a half-hearted little rub of his feet. Then she sat down on the wooden edge of the playground and stood her little baby up on his feet between her legs, with his bare feet in the cold wet sand! And there was a little patch of snow by his feet and his tiny toes kept touching the snow. And she was completely oblivious! I was so furious! Finally she must've felt the waves of rage coming off me and gathered up her kids and left. What a dumb b*tch! At least the other mom's opinions of me were raised like a 100% after she showed up.

So the ride back home was interesting. Took me 15 minutes that time, mainly because I was sooo friggin' exhausted AND the wind was blowing like 100 kph and it was blowing against me. Even coming down the home stretch, 60 Street, when I finally made it up the hill and thought, "Yes!! Now my lazy ass can just coast down the hill!" but no. The wind was so strong that I had to pedal downhill. I'm sure if I would've stopped pedalling, my bike would be pushed backwards.

By the time I made it home, my legs were like shaking, limp noodles. Walking became a new experience as my legs were moving all jerkily, wanting to go every which way. I somehow managed to get the bike and carrier back in the garage, haul the kids inside, haul the bag full of water bottles (which I totally forgot to drink) and pinecones inside. I tell ya though, climbing the steps up to the front door, I almost had to physically lift my legs to get them to rise those six inches or so.

Then I had to throw the kids in the bath, get all the sand (and rabbit turds) off them. Put Ryder in bed with a bottle, forced Lena to climb into her own bed for a nap, then I collapsed onto my own bed and I was OUT. Woke up two hours later, and felt wonderful! Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic for once. My legs don't even hurt.

So maybe I'll do that again tomorrow, weather permitting. Gotta admit though, that part of me is wishing for a cold, blustery day. Haha!

No comments: