Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Make it stop!

What is the absolute worst thing that can happen when you are elbows-deep in raw hamburger, making meatloaf? (Besides getting a suddenly itchy nose, the phone ringing, or having to sneeze or go pee.)

WHEN A HORRIBLE, HATED SONG COMES ON THE RADIO!

There I was, kneading raw burger, grooving along to U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday. Ryder was in his highchair beside me, singing along, "Ahhhh AH ayayaya aaaaa!" Then it happened, the most horrible thing ever... A Backstreet Boys song came on, that "tearing up my heart" one. Ryder and I looked at each other and he said what I was thinking - "Yuck!"

I started hollering for one of the boys, "Help! Get up here! Hurry! Help!" Gunnar came running upstairs, probably thinking it was a 911 situation, gets to the kitchen panting and worried.

"Hey kid, hurry, its an emergency, change the radio station!"

"You called me all the way upstairs just for that?! What's wrong with this song?" He listened for about two seconds, then dove for the dial. "Yeah, you're right, that song SUCKS! But did you have to scream like there was an emergency?"

"But Gunnar, it was!"

He was not amused.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tearing up My Heart was an NSYNC song--NOT a Backstreet Boys song. Shame on you.

WildGirl said...

Anyone who actually knows that fact SHOULD be posting anonymously. :P

Anonymous said...

I simply don't have a google account or any other listed. I know the song because my two daughters, now in their twenties, were teens a decade ago when that song, and the two boybands mentioned were at their prime. But I make no apologies for knowing it. It is music, not covert terrorist activity, serial killing or strip mining. Music in ALL its infinate variety is a good thing. Kathryn